Container Shipping: An industry with huge potential to make a difference
90% of all goods globally are transported through a container. The largest container vessels are 400 meters long and can transport 20,000 containers at a time. The container shipping industry is the backbone and enabler of global trade, but it is struggling. At its core the industry is fundamentally inefficient: 50% of all container vessels globally are delayed coming into port, and key planning processes are done manually on a global scale. This leads to high operational costs, lost revenue, and unnecessarily high greenhouse gas emissions. At Portchain, we work with our customers to reduce operational complexity and optimize planning through software and cutting-edge analytics.
Portchain is seeking a talented Full Stack Data Scientist to join our analytics team that uses data, mathematical modeling, machine learning, and optimization to help our users get full transparency on their operations and make better decisions
You will work with the analytics team to prototype advanced features and integrate them into our products. You will ensure that features are robust and reliable for use in live operations by interfacing with the software engineering team.
You are analytically minded and enjoy working with data and algorithms. At the same time, you understand what it takes to build high-quality software that is reliable and maintainable.
Portchain is an exciting fast-growth company where the chosen candidate will work with an incredible team on applications with a global impact.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Analyze data sources both quantitatively and visually to estimate the quality of the data and extract insights
- Build prototypes of advanced analytics-powered features
- Design and build production-level data pipelines that transform and combine data from multiple sources
- Integrate advanced features into our application stack and ensure we use the highest engineering standards
- Master degree or Ph.D. in computer science or another computational field e.g. operations research or machine learning
- Experience with building and evaluating models and algorithms
- Strong programming skills, preferably in Python
- Experience with delivering production standard software
- Skilled at working with SQL databases and large datasets
- Experience with deploying machine-learning models to production is a plus
- Able to communicate insights from data to team members
- Work on-site in our Copenhagen office or remote
Portchain (www.portchain.com) is a Danish startup founded in 2017 by three McKinsey alums with the ambition to solve the hardest planning problems in container shipping through software and industrial analytics. We apply cutting edge machine learning and optimization through an industry leading customer experience to container carriers and terminals to optimize their key planning processes and create a step-change in productivity.
Portchain’s customers include several global top-5 companies, served by our quickly growing 15 people strong international team. In addition, Portchain has closed a multi-million dollar seed round together with prominent investors, and have received several prestigious grants e.g., from the Danish government through their Innovation Fund, and from the European Union through Horizon 2020 together with 50 other companies out of more than 1,600 applications.
Want to join the team?
If you think that you would be a strong fit for Portchain and the role of Full Stack Data Scientist, please send your CV and cover letter (or any questions you might have) to firstname.lastname@example.org